The standard RFP (Request for Proposal) project can appear complicated to manage for even the…
- Employee Relations
- Personal Development
Ancient Wisdom Meets Modern Living
- Christa Heibel
- 19 September 2018
American culture places an extraordinary amount of emphasis on excellence and achievement. As a result, many of us are stressed, burned-out, tired, depressed, and disillusioned. The demands of being successful no matter what eventually start to take their toll.
I observed this first-hand during the many years I worked as a successful contact center executive and trusted industry expert. Thankfully, I discovered yoga during my search for inner peace and balance. Since then, I have not looked back. I have made it my ambition to teach Westerners yoga so that they can start to realize their inner calling and develop true peace within themselves.
While work is an inescapable part of our existence, it cannot be the sole focus of our lives. It’s important to learn to achieve work-life balance, now more than ever.
Why It’s Important to Have Work-Life Balance
The term work-life balance can mean different things to different people. These days, especially with the current millennial generation, it’s less about perks and benefits and more about creating a sustainable lifestyle.
Regardless of definitions, creating work-life balance is a necessity in modern living. Having an adequate work-life balance is essential to avoiding the physical illnesses and emotional burn-out associated with stressful work environments.
Here are some ways you can start to actively incorporate
- Look for jobs that have low commuting times, offer flexible schedules, or provide work-at-home options.
- Schedule social activities on a recurring basis.
- Take time to unwind with family and friends.
- Indulge in creative hobbies.
- Keep a pet.
- Have a purpose in life that drives and motivates you.
- Volunteer at the local shelter or indulge in selfless acts of giving outside of work.
- Switch off from technology.
- Learn stress management techniques.
- Spend time in nature and get enough sleep and exercise.
- Attend yoga classes or regular wellness retreats, like the ones we have at Replenish Yoga and Wellness.
How Stress Can Impact Executive Decisions
Stress can have a negative impact on decision making, including the decisions made by executives. In an article posted by the Harvard Business Review, entitled “How Anxiety Effects CEO Decision Making”, researchers found that, to avoid potential losses, leaders who are more anxious do not take as many strategic risks. The findings of the study suggested that, as a result, these leaders can miss out on opportunities that can drive large gains for their companies.
Ancient Benefits of Yoga for Modern Living
Yoga is especially relevant today for managing the stressors of modern living. Some of the many benefits of yoga include:
- Discipline, willpower, and endurance gained from regular practice.
- Improvement in posture, balance, strength, and flexibility.
- Being in a state of peace and calm.
- The soothing of frayed emotions.
- Relief from lifestyle-related illnesses such as headaches, shoulder and neck pain, backaches, allergies, and asthma.
- Relief from depression and other nervous disorders.
- Increase in the intake of oxygen, which improves the way the body functions.
About Replenish Yoga and Wellness
I started Replenish Yoga and Wellness with the intention of sharing the profound benefits of yoga. Having worked as a successful contact center executive for many years, I knew all too well the stressful demands of modern living. Yoga has had a powerful effect in helping me rediscover my happiest and most joyful state.
Learn more about our classes, upcoming wellness retreats, as well as our 200-hour teacher training program here. Your first class at Replenish Yoga and Wellness is free.